Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Positives? What!?!

When examining my previous analysis post, I was extremely disappointed with the lack of positives that I was able to conclude strictly from evidence found on the internet; so, I decided to take my research to the next level and actually visit some military families in Fort Bragg, North Carolina and get their opinion on the situation.

While a majority of the answers I received from military families were economic related, the stability of the job and the extra money received with their spouses are deployed, there was one positive attribute that was mentioned that is actually really rewarded due to the deployment of their military spouses.

For a majority of military wives when their husbands are deployed, they must become the mother and the father for their children. They take on the tasks that most husbands complete such as, changing the oil, cutting the grass, painting, pumping gas, and other jobs that most males are instructed to complete. However, military spouses feel a sense of achievement knowing that they can survive on their own.

Also, military spouses say that, for those who are really dedicated to their relationship with their military spouse, it makes their relationship even stronger. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder,” and for the military spouses that I talked with, this was their favorite slogan.

While I am still firmly standing on the side that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are detrimental to military families; however, there are some positives for the spouses left back at home because of the sense of self-worth that arises due to their spouse’s absence. Despite this, I am still not convinced that this is enough to keep us in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment